Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Red & White Romance: Part 1


Welcome back!

Come on in and make yourself at home. Today I'm in the mood for a cozy tête-à-tête. I'd like to tell you something about me: I'm deeply devoted to the colour red. In fact, I, myself, only became aware of this a short while ago. As far as fashion is concerned, I realized that red repeatedly shows up in my choice of clothing, shoes and accessories, mostly making solid appearances, whereas in decorating, I tend to lean towards the pretty perfection of pattern.

 

I smile at the thought of gingham, checks, stripes and plaid and how they have the power to magically revitalize a tired old armchair or add whimsy to a weary window frame. I'm not afraid to let these elements take centre stage and I often group them together to let them share the limelight, either against a backdrop of solid red or happily let them co-exist and complement each other.  For me, the combination of red and white, whether it appears in patterns of polka dots or plaid is pleasing to the eye and happy for the heart!

via country living
It seems that this connection to the colour red goes back to my childhood. The first memory I have of me and Red (sounds like my sidekick!) is actually captured in a photo. I'm about two, wearing a red and white one piece bathing suit and dancing on the couch between my dad and grandfather who are applauding me with cheers of "Opa!", which is a celebratory Greek affirmation. I wanted to show you this picture but couldn't find it; it is probably nestled among hundreds of others in ratty cardboard boxes that sadly haven't been appreciated in a very long time due to the pressing business of daily life. Anyway, a few years later and another red and white bathing suit and red flip flops to match, I remember the very first time I lost something.


Google

I was around eight and we had gone on a family picnic to Centre Island, which is a short ferry ride from Toronto. It had been a very eventful day with barbecues and swimming, funfair rides and cotton candy and as we were packing up our belongings in the park, I suddenly got confused and didn't know if the wet bathing suit on the picnic table was mine or the little girl's whose family had set up their gear next to us. I was too shy to ask her and so I left the bathing suit on the brown picnic table and only later when my mother asked me for it when we got home, did I realize that it was indeed mine. 

 

They say that a child's character is formed by the age of seven. Well, I can testify to that! Although I am considered to be extroverted and assertive, I am equally reserved and diffident. Sometimes I think of that day, and my little red and white bathing suit, quietly dripping on that wooden table in a dark empty park, and the little girl who cried for it that night.


Needless to say, since then and in my younger, no-effort skinny years, I have strutted my stuff in some sassy red and white swimsuits, several pairs of ruby red flip flops and even dabbled with daring shades of red to brighten up my lips or cover the white in my mane. So maybe, just maybe, my mania with this duo is justified!

 

Similarly, it is most fitting why one day out of the blue, my daughter, Liberty, decided to start calling me Poppy. She said that when she thought of me, the colour red appeared before her eyes in a delicate and dainty shape, like that of a poppy! It didn't even need to grow on me; it bloomed instantly and spread rampantly to other members of my family picking it up, some changing it up slightly depending on my mood or their mood at that moment. Thus, I am always the honoured recipient of a brilliant bouquet of sweet and affectionate endearments.

Thanks for visiting,


PS: My love affair with Red is not over....
Stay tuned for Part 2! 

37 comments:

  1. My dear Poppy,
    Your love affair is a worthy one, and one I may share with you, since I love the combination of red and white. Love your post and your reminiscing of your childhood. I'm waiting eagerly for part 2.
    Mxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know of my love affair with red!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Poppy,
    How wonderful to find your new blog!! Thanks so much for letting me know about it. Delighted to make a new friend in Greece. I enjoyed your post on the color red. To me, it is a confident and lively color. And, I also like to pair it with white---a lovely and classic combination. I'm looking forward to following you, Poppy! With cheers from DC,
    Loi
    Tone on Tone

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your blog and so glad I did as I also love red and white. The fabric on your couch is gorgeous...is that a slipcover or upholstery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sondra,

      The fabric on the couch is upholstery. The couch was custom made by a father and son team. It's my very first custom piece (part of a set). Glad you like it!

      So nice that you dropped by.

      Poppy

      Delete
  5. Oh what a lovely blog! I love red and white too. So happy to meet you. Hope you'll visit me too.
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, and welcome,
    I'm a red girl too. It's just such a happy color.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just love your header photo by, is it SCHULMAN??? a print or original...would love to see that on my living room wall. great post.
    pam in burleson,tx lantana3421@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pam,

    Thanks! The photo of the poppy field in my header is a watercolor of the Santa Maria delle Grazie al Calcinaio near Cortona by Miriam Schulman, an American Artist from New York. You can read up on her here:

    http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Miriam-Schulman/19737/

    I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and like you, would love to see it on my living room wall as well! Ah...to dream...

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...Poppy! Your living room is red, white and very romantic. I love the many prints that you have chosen to feature. Just look at that deightful checkered kitchen floor. Everything in your home speaks "happiness"!
    Thank you for this delightful glimpse into your lovely home.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a love affair with red too. In fact, your living room picture above is just captivating to me! Love the green hutch and the transferware plate. I have those dishes and just love them...we eat on them and they are on stands all around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your red, it is my favorite color!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pairing of red and white also. It was always been my favorite combo. I have it somewhere in the house all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red and white is so classic, bold, retro, modern. We shall never tire of their perfect union!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your rooms and also your beautiful island.
    Blessings from Canada
    Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too have a love affair with red. I have at least 10 pairs of red shoes and 5 red purses, once owned a red Beetle, have a bright red sofa, the list goes on . . .

    I loved reading the story of your little red suit. At my age, I stick to slimming black suits, but I know I have owned at least one red one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this post, and your passion for "red"!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love red, too - though only in decorating, not to wear. Being a strawberry-blonde with pale, ruddy skin, I look terrible in red! I like how your daughter gave you the nickname of Poppy. What is your given name? And your daughter's name is Liberty? That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE your couch and the needlepoint roses pillow! Beautiful! Cute that your daughter calls you Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your story about the bathing suit made me sad! I too am drawn to red - when I was a little girl I went through a period where I would only check out red books from our local bookmobile!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I started on page two, and I have got to say that your chicken girls in your kitchen = major cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i have had no luck with red at my own home, but you make it look effortless!

    visiting via feathered nest friday and so glad i dropped by!

    stop by anytime. http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am quite drawn to the color red too - I realized that when I strolled through my garden this morning - red dishes in the kitchen, red walls in the dining room - there's probably a touch of red in every room. Love your Country Living inspiration pictures - your story of your connection to red is marvelous - I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love red too, and for a long time had a red kitchen. The only thing with red walls is that it takes a lot of paint (seven coats) to cover it when it's time for a change.
    I'm visiting via Mosaic Monday - off now to see part two!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poppy - What a darling post. I, too, have a love for the color RED. I didn't use to think I wanted red in my decorating but seems like it has crept into my home in certain areas. Thanks for the delightful comments.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sad to hear of the loved bathing suit gone, but I love how you picked up your nickname. Poppy - so bright and cheerful, swaying in a light breeze. I remember my first trip to Centre Island, it was my first pony ride. I look at that picture now that I am much older and feel sad for the poor creature tied to a wheel all day, going around in circles with children. Obviously, I feel deeply for all creatures now. Patty/BC

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! Hi, I'm a new follower and brand new blogger. I found you on Inspire Me Monday! I LOVE this post!! I'm excited to read around your blog! I'd love for you to come follow me at http://mybutterflyhaus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Following from Inspire Me Mondays at Create With Joy.

    Beautiful pictures! I especially like the...oh, shoot, I like all of them! Can't wait for part two!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the reds! Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Obviously your daughter "knows" you, Poppy, and sometimes children don't, not really. I loved reading about your childhood but the adoration that Liberty feels for you, so deserved I'm sure, is what really made me happy.

    And your fondness for red!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Me too Poppy, love the color red! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fun idea for a post! Love me some red, too!
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such gorgeous photos of red and white! And such lovely stories of your affection for the color combo! Thanks for sharing that with us. I saw your post over at the Dwellings blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a sweet post! That Country Living Red Kitchen you shared was delightful too!

    I also wanted to invite you "The Art of Home-Making Mondays" link up if you have time Poppy! Have a wonderful week ~ I am headed to check out Part 2 of this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. When I think of red and white I think of cheerful! And what a lovely post today.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love this color combination -I would love to have that sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Poppy, Red is not my favorite color, but when I come to your site I start to change my mind. You wear it all so well. I think I have a yellow swimsuit story. :)

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate hearing from all of you! Have a great day!