Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Rita's Roses


The painting above is the first piece of art that I remember my mother purchasing when I was a little girl. I was eleven, school was out, and it was a warm Saturday in early summer when my mom decided that she would take us to the small amusement park that had been set up in the parking lot of a nearby plaza. Dinner dishes put away, flowers watered and floors mopped, off we went for an exciting evening of old fashioned funfair games and rides. 


After braving roller coasters and haunted houses for us kids, mom deserved a break and so with snow cones in hand, we trailed behind her while she made her way to a quieter corner of the grounds, where a gathering array of artists and craftspeople had set up shop, displaying their wonderful creations in little stalls, side by side, as they chatted in a neighbourly fashion among themselves.

 

 And that’s when she spotted it. Always polite and endearing, she very sweetly told the young man sitting by a pile of brushes (who, we assumed, was the artist), that she thought it was beautiful and that it really appealed to her. He thanked her and smiled as he slowly sauntered over to us. Tall and lanky with a scruffy beard and long brown hair, he delicately commented that it suited her. It wasn’t about making a sale, the painting truly did complement her in a most mysterious way!  Something in its nature, a nurturing essence, a note of grace, spoke to us who were present and slightly bemused.

 

Mom ran her hands through her thick auburn hair as she carefully considered the weight of his words. Kneeling down to eye level, in a second of silence, I could sense her connecting to the beautiful image before her, a personification of her own myriad of manners. There was a subtle drama to it. The background, with its many moods of green, velvety and luxurious in texture, seemed a curtain- like backdrop to the luminous feature in the foreground, bursting of buttery yellow blooms, some strong and dazzling, others weak, drooping over a stubby clay-like vase, boldly accented by a few sun burnt burgundy leaves. Set in a coppery gold wooden frame, it was ready to be staged and seen by adoring eyes.


"Okay, dear, I take it!" she announced with foreign flair and just like that – we found ourselves standing motionless, staring at a designated spot on the blank white wall above our living room couch, where minutes later, the painting, by a charming A. Julia, took its place among other delightfully decorative items for many years. 


These days, it can be found in my home, where I hope it will continue to be an entertaining conversation piece, providing its hosts and guests with a stimulating view and a sense of familiarity, one that evokes memories of a sweet and fun-loving mother, a russet haired beauty, who, even today, remains as pretty as a picture!


Have a great week. 
Thanks for visiting.

30 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story, and a beautiful piece of art!!!! Loved this!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Poppy ~
    Very nice! I love reading this, and knowing the painting once belonged to your mother. Thank you for sharing the story, Poppy. Rita's roses looks perfect on that wall of your home. As if you purchased the painting just for that spot.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Poppy
    Thoroughly enjoyed this post and your narrative about your mother's painting. It must be wonderful to have it now in your home...a constant reminder of your mother and how she came by it,which is very emotive.
    I have an oil painting in my hallway of a beautiful little hamlet which is on the outskirts the English town where I come from. I brought it from a local artist there way back in the 80s and I cherish it because it is like having a tiny piece of my home country here with me.

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Poppy! Found you via Amanda's blog and now I'm following!I always like meeting new, interesting people!
    I'm greek,and study physics in Athens,
    Hope you're having a great day,
    Angeliki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have to admit that I am fascinated by the language usage. So pure and colorful. You must write a novel Mrs. Hatazaki. Eleutheria and I were discussing your writing skills and potential the other day. The narration made me imagine wonderfull things. Even if I am not a native speaker, I can identify the real talent.

    P.S Μόλις το δει η Ελευθερία θα σκάσει στα γέλια

    Ανώνυμος...(Σκοπάς...)
    χαχαχαχα

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to your mother, Poppy! And I love the picture of the both of you at the end, too. Your mom's yellow aura is captured perfectly in the painting, your eloquent description, and the photo!!! She must be tickled pink:) (You're so pretty, like Snow White.)
    Fernisia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully and lovingly expressed by a devoted and warm-hearted daughter with so much talent. Every item in your sweet home is carefully and thoughtfully selected, usually with an interesting tale behind it.
    Mxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written narrative..your stories always draw the reader in. The painting is lovely ....and it does fit perfectly in its local setting! What a lovely room altogother!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet story and so well told. The painting is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poppy, you tell the story of the painting so beautifully! I love your writing style. It truly is lovely and I can see why your mother connected to it. It looks lovely in your home. (Love your sofas!)

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely painting and beautiful story. It looks so at home in your living room. I am visiting from A Favorite Thing Saturday and am your newest follower. I would love for you to visit me at Still Woods Farmhouse! So glad I found you! Looking forward to reading more of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. You told that story very well. I love the painting...it looks so pretty on your wall.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful painting and the acquiring of it so moving. Your home is gorgeous, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poppy this story is just as lovely as the painting - I love that there's elements in the artwork that reflect your mother's beauty. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a beautiful painting and even more wonderful because it is from your mom. What a lovely story behind it!....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Poppy, I wanted to thank you again for sharing this with us. I'll be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet story and such a beautiful painting. Honestly, I can't stop looking at it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful painting, lovely memories with it too! Patty/BC

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a lovely way with words. I felt like I was right there. So sweet!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful story of how the painting came to be hanging in your home. It is warm and lovely and conjures up such lovely memories for you. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  21. To have that particular painting in your own living room that speaks so much of the essence of your lovely mother must be a blessing every day. I was there with you that evening as you were at the amusement park eating a snow cone after the excitement of the roller coaster.

    We called them carnivals and they were thrilling, to go to the ferris wheel a challenge I couldn't resist even though it was a torturous delight.

    It all came back to me. And I believe that your mother became real to me too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful Poppy and the story too! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Poppy, what a neat memory to attach to a lovely painting. I love your mother already! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures and sweet sentiments on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I came to you thru Cozy Little House. I LOVE that painting! When I saw it...it stopped me. Thanks for sharing your story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed reading and viewing this post Poppy! It has been featured this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Please join us again...

    http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. That painting is beautiful as well as the story that goes with it. It looks lovely in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely story, Poppy. It has me absolutely certain about my conviction that you should be writing books. I can clearly picture you guys, colorful snow cone juice dripping down your faces and hands, as your mother ran her hand through her hair. I can see her, so lovely, even though I have never met her. I am so glad that I found this post at A Joyful Cottage today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Poppy, this is a lovely tribute to your mother, and how wonderful that the painting now hangs in your home. It's stunning. The artist infused so much life into it with the light and shadows. A wonderful family heirloom. Thank you so much for sharing at Every Room In The House. I'll be featuring this tomorrow at the new party. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have a lovely home and the painting is so beautiful. Great story, it makes the painting more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate hearing from all of you! Have a great day!