Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Sunbathed Bathroom


Welcome to my washroom. Or rather, bathroom.
 Excuse me - restroom. Or is it water closet? 


Supposedly, a washroom or restroom is found in public places,
 while a bathroom refers to the residential kind...Generally speaking.


Then again, it all depends on where you grew up, 
until you relocate to another country, and that's 
when things can get a little confusing. Or very amusing. Or not.


When we were designing our home, 
bathrooms were gaining ground,
 slowly stealing the spotlight from another starlet
 of watery scenes - the kitchen! 


It seemed that people wanted a more specialized room, where they could escape from the hustle and bustle of their day to relax and unwind in a space that provided a little luxury,


some peace and quiet and a whole lot of atmosphere.  For some, this translates into 'spa', while for others it simply means 'spartan'. 
It's a very personal feeling and attitude.


Actually, I'm somewhere in the middle. 
I wanted a space that was calming, 
thus, the earthy tones in tiles 
and granite and soft white furnishings.


But I also wanted to feel revitalized and that's where
 the pastels and bright wildflowers come in, 
playfully accessorizing the neutral foundation. 
Two different philosophies, one understanding.

Click on image to enlarge

My washroom is separated into two rooms: 
the 'powder room', which contains a double vanity,
 display cabinet, and washing machine, and the
 'bathroom', where the bathtub and toilet can be found. 



Each space has its own window and this allows sunlight to pour in practically all day, creating a soothing little sanctuary
 for the stressed and the weary, a place where rest 
has the power to rejuvenate and refresh! 




In the end, isn't that what this room is all about? 
And so, perhaps it is most fitting to say that a washroom
 boasts a bathroom, in which there is room to rest.
 There! No more wishy-washy wording and everybody wins!



Thanks for visiting!


xo
Poppy

28 comments:

  1. I love a bathroom with windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and I love the sun shining in. It's nice to have a window in a bathroom. I love the curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your approach Poppy :) Whatever you want to call it is fine with me! The bathroom is very pretty with a gorgeous view. I like all the pops of color!

    xx
    leslie

    ReplyDelete

  4. The bathroom is perfect! I loved the view from the window.
    I believe that your home is one of the nicest I have ever seen.
    Kisses from Athens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poppy, your bathroom is very pretty. I love the colors you've chosen and the fresh flowers make it just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely - the sunlight just fills that perfect space, Poppy. The view is nothing to sneeze at, either!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bathroom is beautiful with all that sunlight and the gorgeous pops of color you've added - I could definitely rest there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, Poppy! Warm and cheerful just like the rest of your home. I noticed your walls are tiled all the way up. I'm really fond of this look. And, it is practical for cleaning up, too.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  9. The view of your bathroom is wonderful ! I liked the pastels colours and this vase with the flowers ! A lovely and relaxing bath !
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bathroom looks so nice and I love the view from your window. I stopped by from Sunny Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your bathroom! I love the sun coming though!! and I can smell how clean it is too!! simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said Poppy. Love the colors and the view from your window -
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bathroom is gorgeous! I love how light and bright it is.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Poppy

    A beautiful airy and welcoming bathroom and to have a window is very special.

    Thanks for sharing

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a lovely bathroom. In this part of the world, they tend to not care so much about that part of the home since it is only for one purpose. When some people visit me and see that I decorate my bathrooms and kitchen just like I do the rest of our home, it freaks them out. I could never do spartan, that's for sure. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poppy, Your lovely bathroom truly looks like a place to relax and rejuvenate! Especially with your gorgeous view.
    Thank you so much for visiting and for your very encouraging and sweet comments.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your lovely letter! I wrote a blog about it! Go to my website and see it!

    Our house is going to be in Fifi's new magazine: French Country (I see you follow her blog!)

    It meant so much to me!

    I hope you will read it!

    Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forgot to tell you the address! www.mccormickinteriors.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Poppy, Your bathroom is very pretty and the view out the window is priceless. Thank you for joining the Open House party and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty space! Just lovely. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  21. shower door repair

    I feel ecstatic I found you website and blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the feel of a bathroom filled with sunlight, especially early in the morning! As the light coming in becomes more sturdy little by little, you wake up even more bit by bit!


    Leeanne Dyson

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty, Poppy! Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you again tomorrow :)

    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/05/the-homeacre-hop-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your bath (and home) are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the light in your bathroom. It is so fresh and pretty. I too love to put little bouquets in my bathrooms. It is just such a sweet touch.

    Thank you for joining in for Fresh-Cut Friday!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your washroom (Canadian eh!). It is really bright and sunny with it's yellow and white colours. It's quite soothing to the eye and I can see it would make a lovely sanctuary for bathing etc. :) I'm visiting from Sandi's HOME. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely and bright bathroom, Poppy! I like that it is separated into two rooms. We had one just like that once and that design is my favourite. I really miss having a window in ours! Thank you for sharing at my HOME and enjoy your weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate hearing from all of you! Have a great day!