Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pomegranate Ponderings


Sitting in the living room yesterday morning, taking a cozy coffee break from some unplanned and pressing chores, I noticed how pretty the pomegranates from our garden looked, hanging from my little iron rooster hooks, among the potpourri of oregano, sage and garlic. 


Personally, I wouldn't have thought of placing them in the middle of these aromatic bouquets, but my husband, who is more of a practical person, just did it, like it was the most natural thing! I tend to be influenced more by aesthetics, and sometimes, I overthink things too much. For example, I envisioned them in a simple, but earthy, white bowl, with some miniature Seckel pears, nestled in between to fill in the gaps, and then onto the kitchen table, to complement the olive green Welsh dresser, directly behind it, in the breakfast nook.

www.examiner.com

 Colour, texture, layering, contrast; all these factors come into play. And then, I realized that that's exactly what I was observing! And he did it automatically! No adding, removing, fussing, adding again, turning, angling, studying...tossing! He simply went out into the garden, cut them off their tree, tied them together with some red plastic string, and hung them directly onto what was closest to him. That's it! A work of art, don't you think?



What about you? 
Do you over-analyse your decorating?
 Are you guilty of too much weighing and not enough whimsy?
 Think about it...but don't overdo it!


Thanks for visiting.

xo
Poppy

All images: Poppy View, 
except 3rd from top

19 comments:

  1. Yes mam, I am guilty of over thinking......love this natural arrangement here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Poppy

    So true sometimes the vignette just comes together. You husband as an inate sense of design.

    Have a glorious week

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty and SO healthy! I can't believe you have them growing on your property!

    Such a lovely arrangement. I usually purchase a few to use as part of a table centerpiece around the holidays. The seeds are also delicious in salads. I wish it wasn't such a pain to remove them!

    xx
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to have some on my wall or in a bowl. Mail me some my dear neighbour and friend..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Poppy, I agree that they look amazing hanging there. In our home my husband is the over-analyser . . . and it drives me insane sometimes. I have a natural ability for composition (just one of those God given talents). We all have them . . . I have trouble explaining good composition by I know it automatically. He's the technical person in our home, and that is sometime I just can't get. We joke that it takes both of us together to make one smart person . . . maybe that is why opposites attract, LOL. We balance each other perfectly, and it sounds like the two of you are that way to.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Poppy,

    Your arrangement looks gorgeous! So natural surrounded by the oregano, sage and garlic. I'm visiting from Sunny Simple Life. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does that happen? Yes, I over-try and think and then often the look never comes together. I love the look of the pomegranates hanging just where they are. Amazing such a little simple thing can do to bring joy into our lives but a scene like that sure does!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Poppy,
    Oh....I am so guilty of fussing too much over things when I am arranging. I get caught up in the tiny little details and spend way too much time tweaking. Your husband is a natural. He created a beautifully appealing piece of art in the blink of an eye.
    Of course, you know that I love...love...love your use of RED (my very favorite color in the whole wide world) in your home. It speaks of joy, happiness and contentment.
    I enjoy your blog so very much, my sweet friend!
    Have a sweet week,
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. He did a good job! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I'm your new follower too!! I just love your home. I can't wait to go through your posts. Everything is so gorgeous! I love your kitchen.The pomegranates look so pretty!! I love them for the holidays.Have a great day.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect for this time of year. You have inspired me to take some herbs still thriving and hang them to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Poppy. It's a pleasure to meet you. Wonderful post. I haven't had
    pomegranates in years. I love your arrangement. I think we all sometimes fret over decor. I am happily your newest follower. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, sometimes a simple vignette is better than too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. faythepennywisecottage.blogspot.comNovember 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM

    Yes I do tend to over do it., and NEVER get the results I think I should have.Your husband did good..I just became your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your husband has a good eye. Don will do that sort of thing sometimes. Sometimes the simplest way is the best way.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pomegranates look beautiful hanging there!I would like to find some to put on a shelf that I just decorated today. And yes there was over thinking involved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how they look hanging with the dried herbs - very textural. You just never know - you can envision one thing and end up with something completely different - love it! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember this post from last year and I love it again! :) The colors and textures are so wonderful. Have a great weekend, m'dear! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate hearing from all of you! Have a great day!