Monday, March 25, 2013

SPENDING SPRING IN THE AUTUMN ROOM

Hello all,

I've been back on the island for almost a month now and I must admit, it's been a little tricky getting used to things here again after a three month stay in Toronto.
From waking up each day to a full house of bustling breakfast rituals, lots of laughter, and long and leisurely chats with my mum, sister and daughter, to greeting the sunny, but chilly Cretan mornings in silence, except for strong, howling winds that haven't subsided for weeks, adjusting hasn't been easy.
And even with the arrival of spring, I've been spending most of my time keeping warm in the 'autumn room', as it is the sunniest and coziest place to be, due to its French doors, which stay shut to retain the heat from my trusty, electric space heater. 
After a few weeks of heavy duty cleaning and re-organizing, my days are mostly spent doing a little cooking, reading, blogging, and catching up with friends, who are kind enough to visit their one time 'city rat', presently 'country mouse' mate!
It's officially spring, but the fickle season can't decide whether it wants to stay or go.  Even here, in the Mediterranean, where temperatures are fluctuating faster than the snow flurries morphed into mountains in Toronto, it has not shown its true face!
I've had two tastes of winter this year, and I'm full, thank you. I'm craving spring and all its earthy delicacies: food for the body -sprouting vegetables and leafy vines, and the soul- fresh and fragrant floral wonders, that magically awaken the senses from their deep, snowy slumber. Time to wake up and welcome the season of new beginnings, hopes and dreams!
So, here I sit, in my autumn room, surrounded by all things spring. Tulip covered couches, floral painted plates, and mossy coloured walls are inspiring, but just don't cut it. 
I want the real deal and this sassy season sure knows how to drive a hard bargain! Inevitably, before we can enjoy peonies and picnics in the park, we will have to be patient with this feisty, poker faced player!
Happy Spring!

Thanks for visiting,

Poppy

Sharing at:


11 comments:

  1. Εύχομαι να περάσετε μια όμορφη άνοιξη,
    στο ομορφότερο μέρος του κόσμου !

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA yes that is quite a contrast. We had snow here today in KY :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been snow flurries here yesterday and today. I'm tired of cold. This is the coldest place I've lived, and I'm ready for spring weather and flowers.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely spot to wait for spring! Hope it comes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PoppY, Love the cozy spot and the rocking chair.. I want to come over and rock myself... Our weather is been crazy some days HOT some days Cool!! loving the cooler weather anytime though spring has been here for us all winter... I want to see snow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. At long last we have signs of spring here. Daffodils are poking through the soil and birds are chirping. Still, I'm tired of being cold and with the whole thing would hurry up. If you must be chilly, that autumn room is the cheeriest place to do it in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure have a beautiful room to relax in. I'm sorry you're having such a hard adjustment time. It's still very winter-like here in northern Illinois...gray skies, bare trees, cold temps, snow flurries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your autumn room / have seen it before and it always is relaxing and cheerful at the same time.
    if your daughter stayed in Canada as planned the adjustment must be doubly hard

    ReplyDelete
  9. der schaukelstuhl ist ein traum!!! das herbstzimmer ist sehr schön, gut für entspannung!!! alles liebe von angie aus deutschland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your post on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you again this week!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-homeacre-hop-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your autumn room is really gorgeous - love the floral patterns - it sounds marvelous to be together with family enjoying each other with loads of laughter - love it! I think it is interesting that our spring is having such a halting start and so is yours. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate hearing from all of you! Have a great day!