Thursday, September 5, 2013

SNEEZING, STRANDED, AND STIR CRAZY IN CYBERSPACE


Hello to all my friends and new followers!

Yes, I've been away for a fortnight, as they used to say in the 'olden' days. That's exactly two weeks, and before I explain, I would like to say a big thank you to some very sweet friends for their kind words and concern, both in emails, and comments here.


On August 22nd, as I was writing an email to a dear friend and fellow blogger, my little laptop, it seems, wasn't feeling so great. Its fan was overheating (a fever, in human terms), and if I had known that I could have sprayed it with compressed air (taken its temperature) and not have kept it on all day, (plenty of bed rest), it just might have lasted a few more days. But alas, it was already too late, as it had contracted a nasty virus, becoming weaker and weaker by the hour, (loading pages at snail speed), and in a split second - crashed (collapsed)! 
This virus had some very strange symptoms. For example, GFC was partially disabled, i.e, people could follow my blog, but I couldn't access the feature on theirs. I couldn't upload photos when composing a post, and half of the other functions in this very template disappeared, as well. Chrome, which is 'wired' to Blogger, was my default search engine and the first thing that crashed, (thus all the weirdness), and it is still missing in action as I have not been able to reinstall it!


But, the strangest thing that came from this most bothersome bug, and which I have yet to overcome, is that my current Facebook page has vanished into thin cyberspace air, and therefore, irritatingly inaccessible, while a supposedly deleted and deactivated one has resurfaced! It's very surreal when your most recent Facebook pic/page shows up as 'people you may know'.  Very 'twilight zone', wouldn't you say? 


And so, after countless, futile attempts trying to diagnose and treat the problem myself, I gave up when I was no longer able to reboot (resuscitate) it. Frustrated with forums, and exhausted from all the tedious trial and error takes, this sneaky and stubborn sickness was one viral beast that physically vacuumed the energy right out of me!


Emotionally, I was feeling blue, uninspired, insecure and lost.  My laptop is my connection to creativity, my communication of vision and thought and expression of being, and without it, I am cut off, not only from this great forum of talented and interesting people, but also from myself, as it encourages me to walk around some wonderful and whimsical spaces, discovering, questioning, understanding, commenting, laughing. And learning, always learning.


Needless to say, it was only after a week's hospitalization at the Institute of Research and Technology, that my little laptop got the proper care it needed, thanks to a sweet and considerate professor, and husband of a good friend of mine. 


Recuperated and revitalized, this great giant of gadgets has finally come home, once again ready to ride the savvy search engines that take us to far and fantastic lands of thrilling stories, amazing realities and simple smiles that are contagious, but completely virus free.


Thanks for visiting!

Poppy

PS: Planning on replying to emails and visiting all of you tomorrow, 
as it's 2 am here right now!:)

All images: Poppy View, except #3: (Google)




37 comments:

  1. Oh Poppy, your creativity and positivity are the best! Hope you get it all back the way it should be...Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are lovely and glad that your laptop has recovered. Yes, in life we are always learning. It's a wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your computer, Brenda's blog, your facebook . . . what is going on in cyberspace?

    Glad your laptop is healthy again.

    You were missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only you could make a computer virus and a repair eloquent!! I missed you! And I am glad you are back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember a specific episode from Sex And The City that revolved around the same issue. I think it's called, "My Motherboard, My Self". Well, don't you think that, afterall, it's art that imitates life and not the other way?

    To be honest, though, being off-the-grid must have given you the chance to just "hear" your thoughts. A little self-discovering without all the "modern distractions" is always good-at least for a while. Or maybe it's just me.

    Welcome back to the cyberworld (I hope rejuvenated!)

    Sincerely yours,
    James Caulfield (Do you think I should have a middle name? Well, food for thought!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poppy! I'm glad you're back. I was wondering where you were. Glad your laptop is feeling better too. I often worry about my computer getting another virus (I've had 4). It's amazing how much we need those things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. I have missed your sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you and Brenda from The Cozy Little House have been going through the same thing. Glad that the problem is solved and that you're back. I hope that Brenda is as fortunate as you and finds out what is wrong with her computer.

    Briana from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  9. If our car ran like computers we would really be in trouble. I feel lost if I am without my computer. So glad you are back in business.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to hear it could be repaired and restored! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering where you where. I had computer issues, too, and was doing a bare minimum so I wasn't sure if I had missed some posts. Glad we are both back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your world send us a message of joy and happiness Poppy! It's really so delightful stopping by you. Without our laptops we are lost! Thanks God, everything is in order again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...Καλη σου μερα κοριτσι..παντα να σκεφτεσαι θετικα..ολα καλα λοιπον..παντα ξημερωνει μια αλλη μερα..καλως μας ηρθες παλι..καλη συνεχεια..σε φιλω...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to see you back in form, missed you and knowing how important cyber connection is to you, I was worried. Living in that paradise but lost to the outside world, must be the most frustrating thing for you. Keep blogging as I love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So that's where you've been! I'm glad to see you back.
    I feel the very same way about my connection to my laptop and the world it opens up. Work takes such a lot of my time that I look to this little keyboard to help me remain creative and in touch - with others and with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Poppy, my computer has a virus, the first that I have ever had . . . my computer will not open past their stinking page. Tomorrow I'm taking it into the computer doctor :)
    Welcome back . . . and I love your tea set, the colors are so cheerful :)
    Have a wonderful week,
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought that you were just taking a little break or perhaps traveling. Sorry to hear it was a break but not a welcome one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Poppy I can so relate: Our desktop had its final - and literal - meltdown last week. We've since been shopping for and learning to use the new (dreaded) Windows 8 on it. Thank heavens I have my blog set up also on Blogger and using Live Writer to write it, then import it on the blog, also using Google Chrome. Chrome crashed on Monday - no access to anything. Yesterday I learned Windows 8 doesn't support Live Writer. . .is there any end to 'technology troubles'?

    Welcome Back. Please check my blog post today as I have tapped you to participate in a Capture the Colour contest -- and today's blog post photos assure me that you could meet the challenge! Hugs to you - J.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you are back. Yes our computers have become so much to us. They are family, friend, and helper at times.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely missed you. I'm glad things are back to normal. Computers can really feel like the enemy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never was a problem with computers so charmingly written about as yours! Someone who can turn the tale almost into a best selling little book the way that you did can make lemonade out of the sourest lemons!

    All will be well, Poppy. I have faith in the Institute of Research and Technology and in you. You are back, that is the important thing.

    Hugs to Poppy and Poppy View,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poppy, I am so glad you're back. Having computer problems does indeed cut us off from a very significant part of our lives..you seem to have a great attitude about it..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Poppy, I'm so sorry to hear what happened, but so glad you are back! Take care and enjoy the rest of the week & weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whew!!! And I thought you might have gone to Canada! Welcome back, Poppy! Glad your computer is now okay. A couple years ago, the computer at my shop crashed, and I lost so much data. I'm still rebuilding my database even now.
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was wondering where you had been, Poppy! Every day I'd scan my blog roll to see if your blog had a new title. I was getting worried! All those computer problems sound awful. I'd be lost without my laptop, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. yeah to saving your computer from the dump and getting to use it again and welcome back to the blogoshere, love the views from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back my dear friend. I think a lot of us can relate to your predicament but thank God you are up and running. Just letting you know that you were missed.


    Enjoy your weekend.

    Aida

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad you are back in the cyberworld, Poppy! I so enjoy your writing style, and although I am sorry your and your laptop had to suffer, it did make for a wonderful read! I had a similar situation this week -- suddenly, the iMac desktop crashed, and when I ran to my son's laptop, we had no wifi, either. Plus, I broke my camera. Argghh! I felt panicky without all of this connectivity, and can truly relate to your feelings of being lost and cut off. We now have our wifi back, but the iMac is still in the "hospital" having surgery. Amy xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Funny! I am glad you got your computer back. Your garden is so pretty! I just love seeing pics of it. :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  30. So sorry to hear about the frustrations with your computer, Poppy. What a pain! But am so glad that you yourself are well because I was beginning to wonder. Just when I thought I couldn't take the suspense anymore, there you were! Beautiful photos as usual! Enjoy your weekend! Bess

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh goodness, Poppy! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that nasty virus. Do you have virus protection software on your computer? If not, you should get it! Though it seems a new one that no one knows about pops up all the time. It must have been very frustrating for you! Glad to see you back, my friend.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad to hear that your laptop has recovered. We are so lost without them now. Love all your pics!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Poppy, I can so relate! Few things are as frustrating as not having our computers, and not knowing what to do about it. Makes you feel so helpless. :(

    ReplyDelete
  34. Welcome back, Poppy! I am so happy you were able to have your computer problems fixed. I would be lost without my computer. Sad, isn't it! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hate it when my computer isn't working. Very frustrating. Glad yours is up and running well again. Really cute post. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is so frustrating Poppy, I totally get it! My computer crashed a few weeks ago and while hubby went out and bought me a new one, there was a lot of really important stuff on this one...so I brought it to the "hospital" where they fixed her all up! Phew! Glad you're back up and running again, too! :) Kim @ Exquisitely Unremarkable

    ReplyDelete
  37. Bless your heart! Hate those nasty computer viruses! This one sounded menacing! I know how you feel about the connection - so glad you had someone who could tend to this for you! Glad to have you back too :)
    I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate hearing from all of you! Have a great day!