Saturday, February 18, 2017

Glazed Orange Scones


Ever since our return to Crete, Liberty and I have been cooking up some of our favourite recipes. I love getting up extra early to bake something hot and fresh from the oven, especially when it's windy and rainy and cold outside, which isn't often, here, so we jump at the opportunity when we can (not that we need one, of course!)
Image result

While in Toronto, we lived across the street from a Panera Bread Bakery Cafe, and it wasn't that long before we were addicted to many of their wonderful sweets and one in particular: their orange scones.

A younger, prettier, slimmer version of me, with blue eyes, but never mind!

So, naturally, when Crete feels like Canada on those windy and rainy and cold days, we seriously CRAVE these citrus goodies! In fact, I've been dreaming about them from the time we got here. And let's be honest, when a girl's craving orange scones, oranges, (of which I have plenty) just don't do the trick, although they do do wonders for the scones named after them.

source

With no Panera Bread on the island, (or in the whole of Europe, for that matter), I still needed access to their scones, so I googled 'copycat Panera Bread orange scones recipe'. I clicked onto the first result that came up, a blog called My Baking Addiction. After reading the recipe, the comments/reviews, and customizing it, I quickly got to work.

 

 

Ingredients:


For the Scones

  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • zest of two medium oranges
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used 2% Greek yoghurt)*
  • 1 large egg

For the Glaze


  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter; melted (I used 1 tbsp)*
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice 
  • (I also added 1/2 tsp orange zest)* 

     

    Directions:


  1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine sugar and orange zest; mix with your fingertips until the sugar is moistened and fragrant. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
  3. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream and egg until smooth.
  5. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. The dough will be sticky first, but as you press, the dough will come together.
  6. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and prepare the glaze.
  7. In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and orange juice. Whisk until smooth. Dip the top of the scones into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. At this point, you can leave them as is or go for the double dip. 
  8. (I halved the ingredients for the glaze, as I found them sweet enough).*

Notes:

  • Scones store well in an airtight container for up to two days.
*My alterations


While they were baking, Liberty was pleasantly awakened by their appetizing buttery/orange-y aroma, and soon she was floating down the staircase, in a dreamlike state. She couldn't believe that I had successfully replicated our favourite scones  These, my friends, are even BETTER than the product they were inspired by. Please try them; you will not be disappointed. What are you baking these days?


Thanks for visiting
and happy weekend!

xoxo
Poppy 


Sharing at:

47 comments:

  1. Oh YUM, Poppy!!!! I haven't made scones in such a long time and I love love love Panera's orange ones. I am soooo trying YOUR version of this wonderful treat - perhaps today if I can get all my Valentine's stuff put away (a lot of going up and down the basement steps and I fell on ice last week so am so sore I keep putting the final put-away off like a lazy bum!)

    Orange scones is one of the very few sweets my husband will eat. He doesn't eat chocolate or cookies or cakes or candy or ice cream or anything. BUT he likes bread and he likes orange flavor (even his toothpaste is orange flavored, bleh) so I think he'd go for these. Thank you for the inspiration, my sweet friend!

    Have a happy day! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Poppy, these sound so good, with a fresh zingy taste of orange that perfect for late winter. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they sound so lovely! My fav scones are the cranberry orange scones. Perfect for the kind of day you are having! :) Enjoy. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound delicious! Wonderful pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so glad you told us about making these. I love scones and since I can't eat sugar, it's something I can make without sugar. The oranges will add to the sweetness for sure! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scones but have never made them myself. These sound and look so delicious, melt in your mouth delicious! Uh oh, RH just looked over my shoulder, someone's going to be hunting something sweet in the kitchen and there's nothing there. Must print this out.

    "Windy and rainy and cold" never sounded so nice, Poppy. Not if your scones accompany it. Lovely pictures, dear friend,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read your last post, I hadn't noticed that you were back in Crete. But looking at your green-grass photo at top, I thought it strange for Toronto at this time of year, no? Haha.

    I would love to make these scones! I also will print out the recipe... we are expecting some more wintry weather and wouldn't they be nice to eat at fireside! Thank you, Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really stated your case here, Poppy, and had me craving these scones, too!!! I'm definitely going to try them. I usually have lunch at Panera when we visit and I'm firm on skipping the sweets...ugh! Thank you so much!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have all the ingredients at home, I'll give it a try.
    I have a new recipe for mini-muffins with whole wheat flower. I've made two batches, one with applesauce and the other with berries and I'm happy with them. They are heavier than regular muffins, their healthiness weighs them down a bit, but still yummy.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sound yummy ... I think I would add cranberries and pecans to the mix. I make a vegan scone with maple syrup and pecans and they are so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poppy we also have all the ingredients at home and plenty of oranges too. I'll share this yummy treat with my daughter and ask her to make it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Poppy. I love the scones at Panera and have never tried to bake them myself. Thanks for the recipe I might just have to try this. They look and sound yummy.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my these look heavenly! I've never made scones, but the thought of the fresh orange juice and zest makes me want to dive in and try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Poppy...I must try this recipe! They look so yummi :)
    Have a lovely sunday, take care!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you say these are good, then I know they are. I love panera but don't usually try their goodies. I have a scone baking dish but have only used it once or twice. Sadly, I can't bake now, but once I get home all hell will break lose. ;)

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love Panera and I love anything orange! I have a scone pan so I can definitely try these. What a nice treat to wake up to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i can only imagine the divine scent wafting all through your villa...
    and the picture of sleepy liberty following that scent down the stairs! LOL! wonderful.
    i could never afford to live across the street from panera's! it would be my undoing.
    your blog is addiction in itself poppy. after reading this post i went on and read at least four other older posts and enjoyed each one just like it was the first time! XOXO♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Poppy,
    Congratulations on successfully baking these copycat scones. I have no doubt they are better than Panera. I bake a similar scone with cranberries and orange zest and without the icing.
    Hope you have a wonderful week

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. My coffee needs one of those scones at the moment. I can almost smell them from here. I love scones and my favorite is pumpkin scones but there would be no twisting my arm trying these! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us, Poppy.
    Marie|The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  20. Geia sou Popi ,

    the scones look delicious ...Thanks for your recipe
    have a nice time in Greece ..
    filakia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have stopped eating sweets as I have put on a few pounds, but the scones sound divine and would love one right now. It is cold, rainy and cloudy.

    Thanks so much for the recipe. So glad that you and Liberty are enjoying Crete.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound scrumptious! I have made a copycat version of some of the Starbuck's scones, but we don't have a Panera here on the Island, so I have no idea of what the original orange scones should taste like. I have an idea though, that your version will be very, very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too am bereft of a Panera bakery, I don't think there's one in the whole of France! Next time we have friends round for tea I'll bake some of your orange scones, (with just the two of us here it would be too tempting to eat them all).
    Happy MM.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your scones look so different to ours here in Australia, but I think I should try your recipe. At the moment I am baking nothing, but soon I will be making grape jam I think as the grapes in our yard are starting to ripen. I haven't visited for a while, but I was pleased today to read you had returned to Crete, as I love your stories and images from Crete. Enjoy the slow swing into spring Poppy, and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, my! Poppy! The orange scones sound wonderful and have made my mouth water. I haven't had breakfast yet so I think I'll go and eat! My breakfast won't be as good as your scones. Thanks for the recipe and happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your scones look exquisite Poppy! I too love Pannera (and my favorite is the bagel section :) and don't have any in our area... but now, thanks to you, I have access to a good scone recipe! Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, they sound good! I have plenty of oranges in my garden too. Might try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your scones look delicious. Oh how I envy you for being able to live on Crete. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh YUM! Although I do not bake much because I eat everything I bake, these sound like something I would love to try! I love the texture of scones...would take one any day over a roll or a Danish...or a donut! Thank you for sharing the recipe and enjoy your week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's cold and rainy here - maybe I should make some orange scones.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look wonderful! :) I also love your sense of humor.... so glad you can still have scones, even without Panera. We love their scones also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh glorious day, Orange Scones from Panera Bakery are so yummy and if these succulent creations tweaked by you from a Copycat recipe are as good as you say, well I have just copied and pasted the recipe to a not to me my dear friend. We enjoy scones, and one of my other favorites are the Pumpkin Scones from Starbucks. They only have them in the Autumn months and one time I purchased a case of 6 and kept them in the freezer, which is exactly what they do and then I would bring one out as needed, which was probably way too often. Don't you just love Copycat recipes to the moon and back! I recently went on there to try and get a good recipe for the Iced Cafe Mocha's that Starbucks creates and now I am making my own at home as well. Saving $5.00 on every 3 that I would have purchased. Have a Happy week my friend. Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's the second time this week I stumble upon an orange scone recipe... Now I really have a carving for them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is on my 'favorites' list here and my 'to make' list for when we are back in Greece! A lovely post, Poppy, keep them coming! xxx J.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love scones, and I love Panera Bread!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am not baking much at all these days; could you email me a scone or two :>)?

    (It's not just because I'm old and lazy, although I am, but also for health reasons ... Bill is supposed to be watching his carbs -- it doesn't seem fair to tempt him unnecessarily. ) Enjoy those scones while you can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. its a delicious recipe... I would love to have, but if someone bakes for me.. :) :) :) ...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Can't wait to try these...yum!
    also,I like coming here and reading words like Crete. It sparks my imagination:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG Poppy these scones look so delicious!! During these days I do not bake anything because I try very hard to be on a diet... summer is comingggg!!! Hugs and kisses :)

    https://artdecorationcrafting.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like orange scones, too. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Something so wonderful about those cozy shut-in days that baking something sweet and very special brings! I can imagine the smells of such goodness tempting Liberty down the stairs, lol! Isn't it wonderful when you can recreate a treat that you love at home, and it truly is even better than the original! I will be printing and trying this recipe! I have some company coming this weekend, and what a perfect little treat... it is nice to be able to share, and not feel like you HAVE to eat them all... heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yummy! Must try this...
    Friday again and best wishes to you for a lovely weekend!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hey there, Poppy! That looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Since I am not the best baker, I'll just have to drive around the corner to the local Panera to enjoy these treats. Will think of you every time I get one now :) Hope you are well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  44. So yummy. What a great post. I know the feeling when we lived in another state a few years ago there was no Mexican Food! I/we craved tamales so much we tried to make some. Wasn't the same. We moved back to Texas!
    We are celebrating Spring and Easter. Your post is perfect to share! The party is over here:
    http://ourholidayjourney.blogspot.com/2017/02/fabulous-welcome-spring-link-party.html
    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my goodness, these sound so delicious, Poppy! I'm staying away from things like these right now, but I've got this recipe saved for future reference!

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for the recipe! I will make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  47. thank you very much for the information... nice post..!!1

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate hearing from all of you! Have a great day!